3 Things You Need To Do When Transferring A Vehicle To A New State

21 February 2018
 Categories: Automotive, Blog


Moving can be an overwhelming process. Not only do you need to find a new residence, but you will also need to transport your belongings, which can be physically and emotionally stressful. Included in these belongings is your vehicle. The transfer of your vehicle to your new state has legal requirements that you must adhere to. If you are in the process of moving, here are a few things you must do to ensure your vehicle is legal in your new state.

Visit the DMV

The first step once you move to a new state is to visit your local Department of Motor Vehicle's office. Be sure to visit an office that offers services for driver's licenses and registrations, since you will need to complete both of these tasks.

Depending on the state, you may need to take a written exam on local driving laws before you can acquire a license in your new state. Some states will only require you to take a new photo and pay a small fee to update your license with your new address.

You will also need to register your vehicle in your new state while at the DMV. If you own the vehicle and have the title in hand, the vehicle registration process is easier. However, if you have a loan on the vehicle, you will need to provide the DMV with the lender's information.

Again, each state has its own requirements you must follow when registering your vehicle. For example, Florida gives you 30 days after you become a resident, begin working, or register your children in school to register your vehicle.  

Update Insurance

Once you move, you will need to update your automobile insurance policy holder, as well. The policy holder should have your new address for billing purposes.

In addition, each state has their own requirements for minimum insurance coverage, so your policy holder will need to ensure you have the appropriate coverage once you are a resident of a new state.

Return Old Plates

The Department of Motor Vehicles will give you a temporary plate until a permanent one is sent to you, but they will also advise you on what to do with your current plate. Since this plate is registered and made in the state of your old residence, you will most likely need to return it.

The easiest option to return your plate is to mail it back with the address provided by the DMV. If you do not turn the old plate in, you may be responsible for paying taxes and registration fees in both states.